What is laser resurfacing?
Laser resurfacing is also known as skin resurfacing. It is an effective way of reversing the damaging effects of sun exposure, aging, and lifestyle habits, such as smoking. It can reduce facial wrinkles, correct pigmentation problems, and smooth and tighten skin.
At Freed Plastic Surgery we offer what’s called a carbon dioxide ablative laser, which uses rapid pulses of high-intensity light to remove the damaged upper layers of your skin. This type of laser is the most effective at reducing facial wrinkles. The standard setting of this laser is performed in the operating room by Dr. Freed and involves a recovery or downtime of approximately 10 days. The laser also has a fractionated or reduced setting which can be operated by our aesthetic nurses and involves a recovery of only a couple of days. This setting is called, ‘Active FX’.
What can laser resurfacing improve?
- Fine lines or wrinkles
- Acne scars
- Sun-damaged skin
- Age spots
- Uneven skin tone
- Precancerous skin growths
How does laser resurfacing work?
Lasers work by using high-intensity light to remove the damaged upper layers of your skin. The laser sends short concentrated beams of light at damaged skin, resulting in the accurate removal of facial wrinkles. Your skin is left smoother and with a more even skin color and tone.
The heat from the laser also heats the underlying dermis of the skin, which creates stimulation of the growth of new collagen fibers, resulting in firmer skin.
Am I a good candidate for laser resurfacing?
If you fit the following criteria, you may be a good candidate:
- You have an uneven skin tone
- Wrinkles around your eyes and mouth
- Fine lines and wrinkles on the face
- You have scars from acne or chicken pox
- Sun damaged skin
- You have liver spots or age spots
You may not be a good candidate if:
- You have a very dark skin tone
- You have active acne
- You are still an active smoker
- You have uncontrolled diabetes or other significant healing problems
Laser resurfacing before and after pictures
To view laser resurfacing before and after photos, please schedule a complimentary viewing of our laser resurfacing photo gallery with our patient coordinator. You can also schedule a consult with Dr. Freed to learn more about laser resurfacing as well as view before and after pictures of previous laser resurfacing procedures performed by Dr. Freed.
Schedule your consultation today
How do I prepare for laser resurfacing?
- Dr. Freed has each patient follow a skin prep program with medical-grade skincare 6 weeks prior to your procedure.
- It’s important to stop smoking at least six weeks before surgery. Nicotine can impair and delay the healing process.
- Discontinue all blood thinners and any medication that can increase your chance of bleeding two weeks prior to surgery. This includes ibuprofen, diet pills, herbal medications, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and vitamin E.
- Dr. Freed requires an EKG (electrocardiogram) for women that are of age 55 or older and men aged 50 or older. However, if you have had an EKG within the last 6 months then you can just provide our office staff with that report.
- Please arrange transportation with a responsible adult/caregiver that can take care of you during your immediate postoperative time period.
- Avoid sun tanning for at least 2 months prior to surgery.
- Discontinue all skin care products prior to surgery, unless approved by Dr. Freed.
- Dr. Freed will provide you with a prescription for an antiviral medication that you are to take the day before surgery and continue for six days after surgery.
What is laser resurfacing recovery like?
- Apply Vaseline multiple times a day to keep the skin surface moist. It will become painful if the skin dries out.
- Wash your face three times a day by applying a clean washcloth soaked in warm, but not hot, water and pressing, not wiped, onto the face. Peel the washcloth off and it should lift off some of the fluid that has seeped out of your skin. Then reapply Vaseline. The Vaseline can then be reapplied as needed to keep the face moist without using the washcloth to clean the face until the next time comes to clean the fluid off your face.
- As your skin heals, which usually occurs between 7 and 10 days post-op, it will no longer ooze fluid. This is the sign to stop Vaseline. You can then begin to apply the provided face cream our aestheticians will give you. You will use this four or five times a day to keep the skin moisturized.
- Sunblock should be applied every morning at this point.
- Clean with a liquid cleanser gently during this week twice a day.
- Makeup can be applied once your skin is no longer oozing fluid and you have switched from using Vaseline to the face cream our aestheticians have given you.
- Re-introduce your recommended skincare routine every other day at first, working back up to every day for a six-week course.
- Use sunblock every morning.
- Skin care products may be re-introduced during this time period, or occasionally re-introduced after the 6-week healing period.
- There are times when other topical or oral medications may be prescribed by Dr. Freed depending on your healing.
What is the cost of laser resurfacing?
The cost of laser resurfacing in Roseville, Sacramento, and Auburn all varies, depending on the area of the face that is being treated. However, a full face laser resurfacing procedure at Freed Plastic Surgery we include the following in the cost of a full face laser resurfacing:
- Dr. Freed’s professional fee
- Anesthesia fee
- Operating room fee
- Pre, post, and all follow-up appointments
- Skincare products to prepare your skin for laser
- A complimentary makeup application from our makeup artist
Why should I choose Freed Plastic Surgery for laser skin resurfacing?
- Dr. Freed and our staff have a wonderful reputation for being kind, patient-focused, and providing excellent care in a private setting.
- Dr. Freed has over 25 years of post-residency experience with laser resurfacing.
- An ointment is included, to use on your face for one week after, multiple times a day.
- We also include a natural laxative called SurgiLax, which will help with any constipation that you may have from narcotics or medication.
- We offer a private on-site fully accredited operative suite that has the highest level of safety, confidentiality, sterility, and professionalism.
- Dr. Freed has a medical spa that he encourages his cosmetic surgical patients to benefit from. At Freed Plastic Surgery, we believe that if you spend money on surgery, it’s important that you take care of that “investment”. With that in mind, we offer each cosmetic patient a 10% savings for up to a year at Vibrance Medical Spa, plus your skincare is included that will help prepare the skin for achieving the best results.
Can I finance my laser resurfacing?
There are many options for financing your procedure. We work with CareCredit and Alpheon Credit. Both vendors offer flexible financing plans to be used for medical procedures.
Learn more about financing your laser resurfacing
Schedule a laser resurfacing consultation
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Freed and our caring staff to learn if laser resurfacing is right for you.