What is a breast lift procedure?
A breast lift is also known as a mastopexy. A breast lift is able to lift saggy breasts, addresses uneven breasts, decreased breast volume, drooping nipples and stretched areolas (the darker area surrounding the nipple). The procedures consist of the removal of excess skin as well as reshaping and tightening of the breast tissue.
If there is too little breast volume, a breast augmentation or breast implants with a lift may be recommended. Often after breastfeeding multiple children you not only have drooping breasts but you have also lost volume. If this is the case Dr. Freed will recommend you have a breast lift with implants. A limitation of a breast lift alone is a lack of upper breast fullness that is achieved with lifting alone and many patients require a breast implant simply to improve upper breast fullness even when they feel they have adequate breast volume of their own. Dr. Freed will review this issue with you during your consultation.
Also, if there is too much breast volume, a combined breast lift and breast reduction may be recommended.
A breast lift can improve your figure and make your profile look more youthful. A woman’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. There are a few reasons these changes may occur:
- Normal aging
- Weight fluctuations
Am I a good candidate for a breast lift?
If you don’t feel like you are fitting into your clothes well or you feel matronly because of drooping breasts, you may be a good candidate. The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider a breast lift:
- You are physically healthy and maintain a stable weight
- Breasts are sagging
- Breasts are not equal in size
- You do not smoke and are in good health
- Your breasts have a flatter or more elongated shape
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas
- You are finished with breastfeeding your children
Breast lift before and after pictures
Viewing breast lift before and after photos is an important part of choosing your surgeon. You can view some of our photos online; however, we encourage you to schedule a complete viewing session of breast lift before and after pictures with our patient coordinator.
What will my breast lift scars and incisions be like?
Most commonly the scars are around the areola and vertically from the areola down to the inframammary crease. Rarely the scars are limited to just around the areola and the vertical scar can be avoided. However, this significantly limits the amount of lifting possible, it limits the breast projection and often results in a wide unattractive scar around the areola. A scar in the inframammary crease is also possible.
How should I prepare for a breast lift surgery?
- It’s important to stop smoking at least six weeks before surgery. Nicotine can impair and delay the healing process.
- Discontinue all blood thinners and any medication that can increase your chance of bleeding two weeks prior to surgery. This includes ibuprofen, diet pills, herbal medications, fish oil, flaxseed oil and vitamin E.
- Dr. Freed requires an EKG (electrocardiogram) for women that are of age 55 or older. However, if you have had an EKG within the last 6 months then you can just provide our office staff with that report.
- Dr. Freed requires a mammogram if you are over the age of 40. However, if you have had one within the last year you will not need to have another one, simply provide the results to Dr. Freed.
- Please arrange transportation with a responsible adult/caregiver that can take care of you during your immediate postoperative time period.
- Before your breast lift surgery, stock your refrigerator with healthy food, especially rich in protein and fiber and low-sodium items.
- As you heal, your arms will have a limited range of motion, so think about all your needs and try and place household items where they are easy to access.
What is breast lift recovery like?
First two weeks of recovery
- The day after surgery, you will be encouraged to get out of bed and take short walks around your home, this keeps the blood flowing and prevents blood clots.
- The day after surgery it is important that you take deep breaths periodically throughout the day, this helps prevent lung infections and improves oxygenation.
- You may shower 24 hours after surgery, using regular soap and shampoo. Please have someone with you the first time you shower. Take the ace wrap off and sit at the side of the bed first, wait until you do not feel dizzy or light-headed, and then get into the shower.
- Apply Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to your incision twice a day for the first two weeks. It is normal to have drainage from the incision site for the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Wear your compression bra in a snug manner but not restrictive of breathing or uncomfortably tight.
- You may take 1-2 pain pills every 4 hours as needed for pain. A prescription for pain medication will be given to you, however, many patients do well with just taking ibuprofen for pain after surgery. You may begin taking ibuprofen as soon as surgery is finished. It is very important to eat a small amount of food with the pain medicine. Having food in your stomach will help prevent nausea.
- Avoid straining, bending and lifting anything over 20 lbs for the first 2 weeks, since these activities might cause increased swelling or even bleeding.
- Sleep on your back, to avoid any pressure on your breasts for the first three nights after surgery.
- Sleep slightly elevated to help reduce swelling.
- IMPORTANT: A small amount of swelling is normal after surgery, but if one breast is significantly larger than the other, then it’s important that you contact Dr. Freed at 530-885-4151 (office) or 530-889-5841 ( answering service).
- Avoid vigorous exercise and lifting for the first two weeks following surgery.
- Avoid hot tubs and saunas for the first two weeks.
- Two suture knots per breast will be removed in two weeks.
Two to six weeks after surgery
- You may notice that you feel less sensation in the nipple and areola area, this is usually temporary; however, it may take weeks to months before sensation returns to normal.
- Your breasts may require some time to assume a more natural shape and position; particular if a breast implant is placed.
- Incisions will initially be red or pink. They can remain this way for a few months following surgery.
- You may resume mild exercise after two weeks.
- You may experience mild pain after the first few weeks, but such feelings are normal. If you have severe pain, please contact Dr. Freed at 530-885-4151 or 530-889-5841.
How much is a breast lift going to cost?
Breast lift cost is often a concern when considering whether to go ahead with surgery. Dr. Freed offers a consultation for $75 to discuss all that is involved with a breast lift surgery. If you choose to proceed with the surgery the consult fee will be applied towards your procedure.
The surgical fee portion of the price of a breast lift varies depending upon the amount of time needed for surgery and whether an implant or reduction is necessary.
The cost of a breast lift in Roseville, Sacramento, and Auburn all vary, depending on whether or not you include other procedures with a breast lift, such as implants. An average cost of a breast lift in the operating room is approximately $7,000, however, we are not able to provide you with an exact quote until you have consulted with Dr. Freed. Breast lift with implants cost starts at around $8,000. This cost reflects the operating room, anesthesia, and Dr. Freed’s professional fee. However, the price varies depending on what type of implant is used. At Freed Plastic Surgery we include the following in the cost of a breast lift:
- Dr. Freed’s professional fee
- Anesthesia fee
- Operating room fee
- Pre, post and all follow-up appointments
- Breast garment if having breast lift with other procedures
Dr. Freed has an on-site medical spa, which allows him to offers a special gift to each of his cosmetic patients. You will enjoy a complimentary makeup application with our makeup artist at Vibrance Medical Spa. Schedule a skincare consultation and receive a complimentary full size medical grade skincare product as well.
Can I finance a breast lift surgery?
Financing for your breast lift procedure is an option as well. We work with a variety of excellent financing companies that can be used for all types of cosmetic procedures. CareCredit and Alphaeon Credit are both reputable companies that offer a variety of easy monthly payment plans. Financing is a great option if you don’t have the funds at the moment for your breast surgery or if you would simply prefer to make monthly payments.
It is important that you meet with our patient coordinator to discuss the varies programs we have available as well as assist you in finding the right fit for your budget.
Why should I choose Freed Plastic Surgery for my breast lift surgery?
- Dr. Freed and our staff have a wonderful reputation in the Sacramento, Roseville and Auburn areas for being kind, patient-focused, and providing excellent care in a private setting.
- Dr. Freed has over 25 years of post-residency experience with breast lift surgery.
- A garment will be included with your breast lift surgery; which Dr. Freed will require that you wear for 2 weeks following surgery.
- Ointment is included, to use on your incision sites, as well as a natural laxative called SurgiLax, which will help with any constipation that you may have from narcotics or medication.
- We offer a private on-site fully accredited operative suite that has the highest level of safety, confidentiality, sterility, and professionalism.
- Dr. Freed has a medical spa that he encourages his cosmetic surgical patients to benefit from. At Freed Plastic Surgery, we believe that if you spend money on surgery, it’s important that you take care of that “investment”. With that in mind, we offer each cosmetic patient a 10% savings for a year after surgery at Vibrance Medical Spa. Schedule a skincare consultation and receive a complimentary full size medical grade skincare product.