Minimally Invasive Breast Augmentation
What is minimally invasive breast augmentation? It’s a gentle and precise technique that gives you the smallest incisions (leaving a small scar) and a shorter recovery that is less painful.
How is this done? Dr. Freed measures out the position of the incision using your specific anatomy and the size of the implant you have chosen, this allows the scar to be placed in the natural fold of the breast.
Dr. Freed specializes in creating a natural breast size, with appropriate fullness and shape, based on your body shape and desired results. He has been serving patients in Sacramento, Roseville, and Auburn areas for over 20 years.
When should I consider having breast augmentation?
- If you want a better-proportioned figure
- If you wish to have your clothes fit better
- If you want a more feminine figure
- If you are in need of restoring symmetry
- If you are recovering from pregnancy or weight loss
- If age and gravity have taken a toll on your breast size and shape
Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?
If you have breasts that are small, not symmetrical, drooping, or simply not proportional to your body, you most likely would be a good candidate for breast enhancement.
Do you recommend saline, silicone or cohesive silicone “gummy bear” implants?
The type of implant Dr. Freed recommends will be based on your specific goals and body type. Here is some information regarding each type:
Saline breast implants
Saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. They are filled at the time of surgery to allow for minor adjustments in implant size and tension. Saline breast implants are less expensive then silicone breast implants; however, they don’t feel as “natural” and may “ripple.” This problem becomes more of a factor as the ratio of implant to breast tissue increases.
Silicone breast implants
Silicone breast implants are filled with soft, elastic gel and are available in a variety of shapes. All silicone gel breast implants are pre-filled.
Cohesive gel silicone gel-filled breast implants
Cohesive gel silicone gel-filled breast implants, also known as “gummy bear” breast implants, are filled with a cohesive gel which makes them thicker and firmer than traditional silicone gel implants. This helps to hold their shape better with the trade-off of an unnaturally firmer breast at times.
Factors that influence the size and type of breast implants
- Your weight
- Your body frame
- What your goals are for breast enhancement
- Your existing breast tissue
Dr. Freed will discuss what implant is the best for you, considering your body type and goals during your consultation.
Breast augmentation before and after pictures
Viewing breast augmentation photos is an important part of choosing your surgeon. You can view some of our photos online; however, you may schedule a complete viewing of breast augmentation before and after pictures with our patient coordinator.
How much does a breast augmentation cost?
The cost of breast augmentation is often a concern when considering surgery. Dr. Freed offers a consultation for $75 to discuss all that is involved with breast augmentation surgery. If you choose to proceed with the surgery the consult fee will be applied towards your procedure.
The cost of breast implants varies depending on what type of implants you choose and whether or not you have an additional procedure added, such as a breast lift. Breast lift is not uncommon with breast enhancement surgeries, especially if you have breastfed babies.
In order to have an accurate quote for a breast augmentation, you must have a consultation with Dr. Freed. Until you have been evaluated by Dr. Freed, you will not know the shape or type of implant that is recommended as well as whether or not you will be adding other procedures. However, the starting cost for saline implants is approximately $7,000. Silicone implants cost more than saline implants.
The cost of a breast augmentation in Roseville, Sacramento, and Auburn vary, depending on various options that were previously mentioned. We are not able to provide you with an exact quote until you have consulted with Dr. Freed. At Freed Plastic Surgery we include the following in the cost of a breast augmentation:
- Dr. Freed’s professional fee
- Breast implants
- Anesthesia fee
- Operating room fee
- Pre, post and all follow-up appointments
- Breast garment
Are there payment options for breast augmentation?
Patients often inquire about payment options for breast augmentation. Breast surgeries are our most common procedures that utilize payment options.
At Freed Plastic Surgery we work with two different companies that offer easy and convenient ways to help pay for your breast procedure. CareCredit and Alpheon both offer a wide array of monthly payment options to help you reach your individual beauty goals.
What should I do to prepare for surgery
- Discontinue all blood thinners prior to surgery. Blood-thinning medications include, but are not limed to, Advil, Motrin, Nuprin and Aleve. These types of medications can increase your chance of bleeding and increase complications. Dr. Freed will let you know how many days prior to surgery to discontinue the specific blood thinner.
- Discontinue diet pills, herbal medications, fish oil, flaxseed oil and vitamin E.
- Pre-operative mammogram if over the age of 40. Dr. Freed requires that you have had a mammogram within the last year if you are between the ages of 40-50.
- 2 weeks prior to surgery you will meet with our patient coordinator, for what we call a Surgical Orientation. At that time, you will sign your consent forms, be educated on the specifics of surgery, what to do to be prepared, what the day of surgery will be like as well as all your follow care and instructions. You will also pay your remaining surgical balance at this appointment.
- Our anesthesiologist will contact you the day before surgery as well as our nurse manager to remind of what you can and cannot eat or drink prior to surgery as well as review what the process of surgery will be like as well as answer any questions you may have.
What should I except on the day of surgery?
You will arrive 45 min to an hour before surgery. Our nurse manager will tell you exactly when to arrive when she calls you the day before surgery.
Immediately after surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room. You will be closely monitored in the recovery area for at least 1 hour after surgery, or until you are safe, stabilized and prepared to be discharged to your home.
Your breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings and an ace bandage. You will be sent home with a support bra that you will put on 24 hours after surgery. This will help minimize swelling and support the breasts as they heal.
Before you leave the recovery room, our staff will provide you with specific post breast augmentation instructions and review with you your post-op appointment for 4-6 days after surgery.
Dr. Freed will have prescribed your medications in advance to the pharmacy of your choice.
What is the recovery like for breast augmentation?
First two weeks of recovery
- Because it is possible to bleed into the pockets around the breast implants for the first several days, take it easy until you have permission to increase your activity level. Dr. Freed would like you to take short walks around the house and to the bathroom the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Typically, you may become more active by day 4, and depending on what type of job you do, you may even return to work at this time. For example, if you have a desk job, you should be able to go to work, however, if you have a job that requires a lot of lifting then it will be closer to 2 weeks before returning back to work and your normal daily activities.
- Avoid exercise for two weeks because it can trigger bleeding or fluid retention in breasts.
- The first 24 hours, you may take 1 to 2 pain pills every 4 hours as needed for pain. A muscle relaxant will also be prescribed as the pectoral muscle tension is the major cause of the pain and if the muscle can be relaxed, less pain will be experienced. You do not have to take the prescription strength pain medication after surgery. A common side effect of that medication is nausea. Many patients chose to take ibuprofen for pain after surgery instead of the prescription strength medication. This is acceptable and recommended if the pain control is adequate with the ibuprofen.
- You may shower 24 hours after surgery, using regular soap and shampoo. Please have someone with you the first time you shower. Take the garment off, and sit at the side of the bed first. Wait until you do not feel dizzy or light-headed, and then get into the shower.
- Apply Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to your incision twice a day for the first two weeks.
- Do not bend over at the waist or pick up heavy objects greater than 20 lbs for the first two weeks.
- Some bruising, swelling and discomfort are expected after surgery.
- IMPORTANT: A small amount of swelling is normal after surgery, but if one breast is significantly larger than the other, then it’s important that you contact Dr. Freed at 530-885-4151 (office) or 530-889-5841 (answering service).
Two to six weeks after surgery
- You may notice that you feel less sensation in the nipple and areola area, this is usually temporary; however, it may take weeks to months before sensation returns to normal.
- Your breasts will take several weeks for the implants to settle and assume a more natural shape and implant position.
- Incisions will initially be red or pink. They can remain this way for a few months following surgery.
- You may resume mild exercise after two weeks.
- You may experience mild pain after the first few weeks, but such feelings are normal. If you have severe pain, please contact Dr. Freed at 530-885-4151 or 530-889-5841.
Why should you choose Freed Plastic Surgery for your breast augmentation surgery?
We believe that choosing a plastic surgeon is a very important decision and there are many questions that must be answered when considering cosmetic surgery. You want to make sure your physician is board certified in plastic surgery, experienced, confidential, caring, provides excellent care, and many other things.
We have listed just a few reasons why we believe Freed Plastic Surgery is the best option for you:
- Dr. Freed and our staff have a wonderful reputation in the Sacramento, Roseville, and Auburn areas for being kind, patient-focused, and providing excellent care in a private setting.
- Dr. Freed has over 25 years of post-residency experience with the breast augmentation procedure, resulting in beautiful breast augmentation results.
- Dr. Freed understands the anatomy of the body as well as normal proportions that the body should have in order to have natural looking breasts. However, with that said, he listens to your desires, concerns, and lifestyle, and will instruct you in the best technique and size based on your cosmetic goals.
- We have a private on-site fully accredited operative suite.
- We have an on-site medical spa and all cosmetic patients receive 10% savings for a year after surgery at the spa. Schedule a skincare consultation and receive a complimentary full size medical grade skincare product.